- Fee assured
- Verified account
Mr Abhijit Dey is a Consultant in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery, with a specialist interest in complex hip and knee disorders in children and adults. His practice encompasses the entire spectrum of lower limb problems, ranging from sports injuries requiring arthroscopic (‘keyhole’) reconstruction, to hip and knee arthroplasty (replacement) for degenerative diseases.
Mr Dey studied Medicine at the University of Cardiff in 1995, and completed his General Surgical Training in South Wales. He then completed by a two year Clinical Research Fellowship at the WHO Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, leading to the degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD) from the University of Sheffield. Mr Dey completed his specialist Higher Surgical Training in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery in the Oxford and Leicester regions, and was awarded the Certificate of Completion of training (CCT). Thereafter, Mr Dey undertook a one-year Fellowship in Hip and Knee Arthroplasty at the Calvary Hospital in Canberra, Australia, and a six-month Fellowship in Knee Surgery and Sports Injuries at the Holland Orthopaedic and Arthritic Centre (Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre) in Toronto, Canada. Mr Dey was appointed as a Consultant in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery in 2009.
In Mr Dey’s arthroplasty practice, he performs primary and revision (‘redo’) hip and knee replacements, using cemented and cementless prostheses. He offers both unicompartmental (‘partial’) and total joint arthroplasty depending upon the patients’ needs. In his sports injuries practice, Mr Dey performs arthroscopic ligament reconstruction, cartilage and meniscal repair, and realignment procedures. His trauma practice includes the management of more challenging problems such as multiligament injuries, and periprosthetic fractures.
Training of health professionals, both in the UK and abroad, forms a large part of Mr Dey’s responsibilities. This ranges from teaching family doctors to perform injections, to training orthopaedic surgeons in the techniques of knee and hip surgery. Mr Dey is a member of the Court of Examiners for the Royal College of Surgeons of England, and also a member of the Specialty Training Committee in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery.
Mr Dey is married with three young children.
Areas of interest
Knee arthritis; Hip arthritis; Hip surgery; Knee surgery; Hip reconstruction; Knee reconstruction; Trauma; Joint replacement; Total knee replacement; Unicompartmental knee replacement; Patellofemoral replacement; Total hip replacement; Revision knee replacement; Revision hip replacement; Arthroscopy; Rheumatoid arthritis; Cruciate ligament reconstruction; Cartilage repair; Bone graft; Meniscal surgery; Knee reconstruction; Hip reconstruction; Arthroplasty; Deformity correction; Joint injection; Knee pain; Hip pain; Sports injuries; Arthritis; Tendon injury
- Rosalind Lowe
- Spire Alexandra Hospital Impton Lane CHATHAM ME5 9PG
- 01474 526652
Anaesthetists worked with
Current NHS consultant posts held
Medway NHS Foundation Trust
Primary and revision (‘re-do’) hip and knee replacement
Arthroscopic (‘keyhole’) knee reconstruction
Cartilage and meniscal repair
PEER-REVIEWED ORIGINAL RESEARCH ARTICLES
• “Metacarpal morphometry using a semi-automated technique in the assessment of osteoporosis and vertebral fracture risk.” A Dey, EV McCloskey, T Taube, R Cox, KC Pande, RU Ashford, M Forster, D de Takats, JA Kanis. Osteoporosis International 2000;11(11):953-958. [PMID: 11193248]
• “Current practice regarding re-use of trauma instrumentation: results of a postal questionnaire survey.” RU Ashford, KC Pande, A Dey. Injury 2001;32(1):37-40. [PMID: 11164400]
• “Studies of bone density, quantitative ultrasound, and vertebral fractures in relation to collagen type 1 alpha alleles in elderly women.” RU Ashford, M Luchetti, EV McCloskey, RL Gray, SFA Grant, KC Pande, A Dey, K Kayan, SH Ralston, JA Kanis. Calcified Tissue International 2001;68(6):348-351. [PMID: 11685422]
• “Contribution of calcium and other dietary components to global variations in bone mineral density in young adults.” RM Parr, A Dey, EV McCloskey, N Aras, A Balogh, A Borelli, S Krishnan, G Lobo, LL Qin, Y Zhang, S Cvijetic, V Zaichick, M Lim-Abraham, K Bose, S Wynchank, GV Iyenger. Food and Nutrition Bulletin 2002;23(3 Suppl):180-184. [PMID: 12362791]
• “Clodronate reduces the incidence of fractures in community dwelling elderly women unselected for osteoporosis – results of a double blind, placebo controlled randomised study.” EV McCloskey, M Beneton, D Charlesworth, K Kayan, D deTakats, A Dey, J Orgee, R Ashford, M Forster, J Cliffe, L Kersh, J Brazier, J Nichol, S Aropuu, T Jalava, JA Kanis. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2007;22(1):135-41. [PMID: 17042717]
• “Insufficiency fracture of the calcaneum: an unusual cause of heel pain.” KC Pande, RU Ashford, A Dey, K Kayan, EV McCloskey, JA Kanis. Foot 2000;10(3):169-171.
• “Atypical familial Paget’s disease of bone.” KC Pande, RU Ashford, A Dey, EV McCloskey, JA Kanis. Joint Bone Spine 2001;68:1-5. [PMID: 11394627]
• “Acute calcific tendinitis mimicking patella tendon rupture.” A Dey, S Godsiff, R Pandey. Injury Extra 2004;35(12):104-107. [DOI:10.1016/j.injury.2004.07.028]
- MB BCh University of Wales College of Medicine 1995
- MD University of Sheffield 2005
- MRCSEng Royal College of Surgeons of England 1999
- FRCS(Tr&Orth) Royal Colleges of Surgeons 2007
- CCT General Medical Council 2008
- Fellowship in Metabolic Bone Diseases WHO Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases 2000
- Fellowship in Hip and Knee Arthroplasty Calvary Hospital, Canberra, Australia 2008
- Fellowship in Knee Surgery and Sports Injuries Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, Toronto, Canada 2009
Reference number 4210849
Details of entry to specialist register
- Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery, 2008
Affiliations / memberships
1995 General Medical Council (GMC)
1996 Royal College of Surgeons of England (RCSEng)
1999 American Society for Bone and Mineral Research (ASBMR)
2001 British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
2008 Australian Medical Association (AMA)
2008 Arthroplasty Society of Australasia (ASA)
2009 College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO)
2010 Indian Orthopaedic Society (UK) (IOSUK)
- Spire Alexandra Hospital, Impton Lane,...
- 15:00 - 18:00
- 01634 662892
- Spire Alexandra Hospital, Impton Lane,...
- 18:00 - 20:00
- 01634 662892
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.