- Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Cataract Full Pathway provider
I offer Bupa customers standard cataract surgery on the Full Pathway package option at Spire Fylde Coast Hospital .
This package includes your appointments before and after surgery, as well as your surgery and mono-focal lenses. It means you won’t use up your out-patient benefit or receive any additional bills from your surgeon (or anaesthetist, if you need one) for eligible treatment.
Please call the Bupa Eye Care team to find out more about and to pre-authorise your treatment on 0345 600 7267.
- Oculoplastic surgery
Mr Raj is a full time Consultant Ophthalmic Surgeon at the Blackpool Victoria Hospital with clinics at Spire Fylde Coast Hospital, where he performs Cataract surgery, Oculoplastic Surgery including periocular tumour management and reconstruction as well as comprehensive ophthalmology. He is involved in teaching and training junior doctors, medical students, nursing staff and Optometrists.
He has trained and qualified in India as well as UK and has gained experience in Germany and USA as well.
Mr Raj has provided charitable services in India for urban poor as well as rural communities in association with Lions Club and remains committed to charity work in poor and developing countries.
He likes to keep fit and practices Yoga and meditation for holistic wellbeing. He likes to spend time with family and listen to music.
Areas of interest
Cataract surgery; Premium lens implants; Refractive lens exchange; Oculoplastic and lid surgery; Periocular tumour surgery; laser capsulotomy and iridotomy, general ophthalmology
Current NHS consultant posts held
Blackpool Victoria Hospital, Blackpool
Yoga and fitness, music
(Additional) Languages spoken
- Gujarati - Native or bilingual
- Hindi - Fluent
- Urdu - Conversational
Courses offered to GPs
Modern cataract surgery, Problems of lid and adnexa and Oculoplastic surgery
Below national average complication rate in cataract surgery .
cataract surgery Infection rate= 0 % in 2018
PC rupture rate 0 % in 2018
- MBBS MS university . Baroda , India 1985
- M.S. ( master of surgery) in Ophthalmology MS university , Baroda, India 1989
- FRCS Ed Ophthalmology Royal college of surgeons of Edinburgh 1998
- Certificate in Medical informatics Royal college of surgeons of Edinburgh and Hongkong acadamy of medicine 2004
- Fellowship in Oculoplastic Surgery Southampton and Salisbury Hospital 1997
- Observership in Oculoplastic surgery with Prof Putterman University of Illinois , Chicago, USA 1999
- Fellowship in phacoemulsification Surgery, Augenklinik, St Vincentius Krankenhauser, Karlsruhe, Germany 1991
Reference number 4376163
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Royal College clincal supervisor Royal college of Ophthalmologists, London 2010
Details of entry to specialist register
- GMC specialist register, 2008
Affiliations / memberships
Royal Collage of Ophthalmologists
Royal college of Surgeons of Edinburgh
European Society of cataract and refractive surgeons
United Kingdom Society of cataract and refractive surgeons
British Oculoplastic Surgical Society
North of England Ophthalmogical Society
- Spire Fylde Coast Hospital St Walburgas Road...
- 08:30 - 13:00
- 01253 394188
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.
In the event of an urgent query following treatment, Bupa members should use the following contact details
Spire Fylde Coast Hospital