- Fee assured
- Verified account
- Cardiac CT/MRI
- General cardiology
I qualified from St Bartholomew's Hospital Medical School in 1997. I trained in general internal medicine and cardiology in London, Bristol and Australia. I completed my MD thesis at the Royal Brompton Hospital in cardiac MRI in 2006. I was appointed Consultant Cardiologist at the Royal Berkshire Hospital and visiting Consultant at the Royal Surrey County Hospital in 2009. I am trained in all aspects of general cardiology, with a particular interest in cardiac imaging. I became clinical lead for cardiology at the Royal Berkshire Hospital in June 2020.
Outside of work, I enjoy spending time with my wife and four children.
Areas of interest
Chest pain; shortness of breath and breathlessness; heart murmur; palpitations and dizziness; fainting and syncope; high blood pressure.
Valvular heart disease; heart failure; cardiomyopathy; heart disease in pregnancy; family screening.
Echocardiography including stress echo and transoesphageal echo; cardiac MRI; cardiac CT angiogram; ECG monitoring (Holter and Zio patch).
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant cardiologist and cardiology clinical lead, Royal Berkshire Hospital
Consultant cardiologist, Royal Surrey County Hospital
Non-invasive assessment of coronary artery disease.
Spending time with my wife and 4 children. Walking and swimming.
MD Thesis in cardiac MRI 2006
Clinical excellence awards 2013, 2018
Fellowship of the Royal College of Physicians 2013
I have written numerous research papers, abstracts and articles on cardiology, in particular on cardiac MRI.
Courses offered to GPs
I give regular talks at local GP surgeries on a wide range of general cardiology topics. Recent talks I have given include investigating chest pain, management of heart failure, atrial fibrillation and cardiomyopathy.
My inpatient and outpatient care, echocardiography and cardiac MRI services are all quality assured through regular clinical governance meetings, MDTs and audit.
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians 2013
- MD Imperial College (Royal Brompton Hospital) 2006
- MRCP Royal College of Physicians 2000
- MB BS St Bartholomew's Medical School 1997
- BSc (Hons) University of London 1994
- Level 2 Cardiac CT competency Derriford Hospital, Plymouth 2009
- Transthoracic Echocardiography competency British Society of Echocardiography 2008
- Level 3 Cardiac MRI competency Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance 2004
Reference number 4431792
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- Cardiology Clinical Governance lead Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust 2011
- Cardiology Clinical Lead Royal Berkshire Hospital 2020
- Cardiology Speciality Tutor Royal Berkshire NHS Foundation Trust 2014
- Member of Departmental Accreditation Committee British Society of Echocardiography 2020
Details of entry to specialist register
- Andrew Elkington , 2009
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Physicians
British Cardiovascular Society
British Society of Echocardiography
British Society of Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance
Medical Defence Union
- 16 Bath Road READING RG1 6NS
- 13:30 - 15:30
- 0118 304 5920
- 16 Bath Road, READING RG1 6NS
- 13:30 - 18:00
- 0118 304 5920
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.