- Not Fee assured
- Verified this account
- Functional urology/continence
- General urology
I perform the largest number of urethroplasties per year in the UK and have done for the past ten years. I run a nationally recognised Genito-Urethral Reconstructive Surgery (GURS) service from Russells Hall Hospital, Dudley. I am also the Honorary Consultant Urologist to the Royal Centre for Defence Medicine, University Hospital Birmingham, dealing with genital injuries from improvised explosive devices (IEDs) and the Clinical Service Lead for urology at the Dudley Group of Hospitals.
I trained in general urology in the West Midlands and undertook fellowships in Italy with Professor Guido Barbagli, in London at the Institute of Urology with Mr David Ralph, and in Leicester to become fully trained in GURS. I achieved the gold medal in the specialist urology exit exams and was appointed consultant in Dudley in 2007.
I specialise in surgery to the male genitalia and receive referrals from all over central England, Wales and Ireland, particularly for complex (anterior) urethral reconstruction and hypospadias problems. Increasingly I find myself revising poorly performed circumcisions and carrying out surgery to deal with 'buried' penises. Peyronie's surgery remains a large part of what I do and I also carry out surgery for unusual conditions such as lymphoedema or hydradenitis and I correct the damage from genital piercings and remove silicone that has been injected into genitalia. Simple operations such as hydrocoele or vasectomy may take less than 30 minutes but a complex redo urethral operation can take four hours or so.
To date I have carried out over 1,600 urethroplasties, usually around 140 a year and have also carried out over 700 circumcisions, the majority of which were to revise badly or incompletely performed circumcisions elsewhere.
I have become heavily involved with Urolink, a charity linked to the British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS) that seeks to improve urology in the developing world. To this end I have been travelling out to Zambia and Ethiopia to train local surgeons in urethroplasty, as there is an immense unmet need out there. Men who cannot work in these countries, due to their urethral strictures and the problems they cause, face financial catastrophe with their whole (extended) family suffering badly.
I greatly enjoy lecturing and am lucky to be regularly asked to speak in the UK and abroad on my special interest of GURS eg American Urological Association, New Orleans 2015. San Antonio, Texas 2016. European Association of Urology, Vienna 2011, Madrid 2015, London 2017 and Barcelona 2018. Appearing as a regular on Channel 4's Embarrassing Bodies and Live From The Clinic enabled me to educate men and empower them to go and seek help for conditions that they just put up with because they were embarrassed and had no idea that effective treatments existed. Every week I see patients that tell me they gained the confidence to seek help after watching me on television.
Areas of interest
Urethroplasty; Peyronie's disease; Lue procedure; Urethral reconstruction; Hypospadias surgery; BXO; Lichen Sclerosis; Circumcision; Revision Circumcision; Andrology; Repair of damage from genital piercings; Removal of genital silicone; Lymphoedema; Hydradenitis suppurativa; Buried penis surgery; scrotal surgery (epididymal cysts and hydrocoeles)
- Louise Hendy
- Spire Parkway Hospital Damson Parkway Solihull B91 2PP
- 0121 704 7610
- 0121 704 7614
Anaesthetists worked with
- Dr Gerwyn Rees Not Fee Assured
- Hidden Trauma: How two British surgeons took on the wounded soldier’s last taboo. GQ article May 2018 regarding the soldiers' horrific genital injuries and their reconstructive surgery.
- Surgeon awarded for work with seriously injured soldiers
Current NHS consultant posts held
Consultant Urological Surgeon / Genito-Urethral Reconstructive Surgeon
Dudley Group of Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust | Dudley | West Midlands DY1 2HQ
Honorary Consultant Urological Surgeon | Royal Centre for Defence Medicine
University Hospitals Birmingham NHS Foundation Trust | Queen Elizabeth Hospital | Queen Elizabeth Medical Centre | Birmingham B15 2TH
Military and Civilian Health Partnership Award 2014 in the Care of Veterans category
(Additional) Languages spoken
- French - Conversational
View videos on youtube
- Video of Bulbar urethroplasty: Reconstructive surgery for a bulbar urethral stricture. One of the many operations I performed for Channel 4's very successful Embarrassing Bodies series
- Video of 2 stage urethroplasty for BXO (Lichen Sclerosis): A man with severe and extensive stricturing of all of his penile urethra where a single stage (one operation only) urethral reconstruction was not possible. Embarrassing Bodies, Channel 4
- Video of Penile straightening for Peyronie's disease: I favour the Yachia procedure (shown here) over the more commonly performed Nesbit operation as the Yachia can correct hour glass deformity and is also reversible if patients are unhappy
- BSc(Hons) Manchester University 1992
- MB ChB(Hons) Manchester University 1994
- MRCS Royal College of Surgeons of England 1998
- FRCS(Urol) Royal College of Surgeons of England 2005
Reference number 4099109
Affiliations / memberships
European Society of Genito Urinary Reconstructive Surgeons (ESGURS)
European Association of Urology (EAU)
Member of the section of Andrology, British Association of Urological Surgeons (BAUS)
British Association of Genito Urinary Reconstructive Surgeons (BAGURS)
Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Spire Parkway Hospital, Solihull
- 19:00 - 20:30
- 0121 514 5079
- West Midlands Hospital, Halesowen
- 13:30 - 17:00
- 01384 560123
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.