- Not Fee assured
- Verified account
I specialise in the diagnosis and treatment of epilepsy in adults.
I have held a consultant neurologist post since 1983 and was appointed Professor in Clinical Neurology in 1995 at UCL. My past positions have included: Chairman of the UCL Department of Clinical Neurology in 1998, Chair of the Medical Committee of the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, Vice-President of the International League Against Epilepsy and President of the British Branch, member of Council and Harveian Librarian of the Royal College of Physicians, clinical lead of eBrain.
Areas of interest
Epilepsy (in adults)
History of neurology
Disability rights, human rights and free speech.
2016 – Epilepsy Excellence Award
2011 – TS Srinivasan Award
2010 – Lennox Prize (
2008 – European Epileptology Prize
2000 – Gopalakrishna Foundation endowment for Lifetime Achievement
1995 – Ambassador for Epilepsy award
- 152 chapters in medical textbooks
- 383 papers in peer-reviewed medical journals.
- 30 substantial monographs and books (as author or editor).
- Clarke C, Howard R, Rossor M, Shorvon SD (eds). Neurology: A Queen Square Textbook.
Wiley-Blackwell. 2 editions.
- Shorvon SD, Perucca E, Engel J (eds). The Treatment of Epilepsy, Wiley-Blackwell. 4 Editions
- Shorvon SD. Handbook of the treatment of epilepsy. Wiley-Blackwell. 3 editions;
- Shorvon SD, Guerrini R, Andermann F (eds). The Causes of Epilepsy: common and uncommon causes in adults and children.
Cambridge University Press.
- Shorvon SD, Guerrini R, Cook M, Lhatoo S. (eds) Oxford Textbook of Epilepsy and Epileptic Seizures. Oxford University Press.
- Shorvon SD. Status Epilepticus. Cambridge University Press.
- MA MB University of Cambridge 1984
- MD University of Cambridge 1983
- BChir University of Cambridge 1973
- FRCP Royal College of Physicians London 1990
Reference number 1625761
Professional bodies (positions held - last 3 yrs)
- President Joint Neuroscience Council 2017
- President Royal Society of Medicine, Clinical Neurosciences Section 2018
Details of entry to specialist register
- Neurology, 1996
Affiliations / memberships
Royal College of Physicians
Royal Society of Medicine
International League Against Epilepsy
Association of British Neurologists
British Medical Association
British Neuropsychiatric Association
Medical Society of London
Society of Authors
American Neurological Association (corresponding member)
Neurological Association of New Zealand (invited honorary member)
Swiss Epilepsy Society (invited honorary member)
Thai Neurology Association (invited honorary appointed member)
Post treatment communication
Following treatment of a Bupa member, I will communicate with GPs in line with Department of Health, GMC and appropriate professional bodies guidelines.